Monday, May 09, 2005

Information Undertow

My personal "password buffer" has gotta be reaching overload at this point. E-mail access, ATM codes (different from bank account access passwords), my blogger account, maybe a dozen different web site accounts, work computer, AIM account, voice mail. All ideally different, all ideally not something completely stupid and guessable like "password." This is a modern frustration past generations didn't have to deal with so much. But I suppose the conveniences are a fair trade-off.

(Big bonus points to anyone who actually recognized that the title of this post was a reference to a song from a Dada album.)

3 comments:

GiromiDe said...

I knew the title was a reference, but I didn't know what was being referenced. I've just come to expect that kind of left-fieldery from you.

Shocho said...

That's why most people use the same password, or a variation thereof, on everything. Lousy security, but then you don't have to guess 42 times everytime PayPal asks for your password to you can read an ad.

Convenience trumps security every time. Ask a crook.

thisismarcus said...

Also guilty. I have a main one and two others (in case I have to include numbers, for example). You usually get 3 guesses before getting frozen out so I think I have variety AND convenience.

And there goes my accumulated PayPal wealth!