Sunday, May 15, 2005

Island Madness

Those of you who follow Survivor will recall a few weeks ago when I pronounced the remaining contestants too stupid to win, and officially starting rooting for Tom. So, on that level, I'm happy with tonight's result. But things didn't end without a few more truly bizarre displays of behavior.

Coby, who had started out as one of the most fun and entertaining people on the show, must have had some kind of psychotic break the episode he got voted out, and it carried through all the way to jury day. I have absolutely no idea what lies he thinks Tom told. I have even less idea what he was all bitter about. He just went completely mental.

Ian was doing great all the way through the game until the episode last Thursday, where he began repeatedly opening his big mouth, saying the wrong things to the wrong people, and generally making stupid decisions. I can't decide whether his resigning from the final challenge was a redemption, or the final stupid decision in his chain. I'm inclined to vote "stupid" if for no other reason than the fact he could have given up a whole lot sooner and saved himself 12 hours on that buoy.

I will say that either way, I take issue with Jeff Probst's behavior. At the reunion, he got all up in contestant Jeff's grill about asking to be voted out of the game, but then at the same time essentially praised Ian for asking exactly the same thing of Tom. Total double standard.

And Katie. Poor, deluded Katie. What ever made her think that her "strategy" had a chance of working? Where did she get off getting so enraged with Ian when she just days earlier had tried to jump ship from him and Tom and join with Gregg and Jenn? And why, oh why, did she stand by Ian and vote against Jenn?

In short, there was plenty of island madness to go around.

4 comments:

TheGirard said...

I felt that Ian had that locked up had he not pulled that stupid stunt. But since he did, there was no way Katie was going to win.

And I think the award for most visually changed person from the island to the reunion show has to go to Katie. She didn't even look remotely the same.

GiromiDe said...

Probst praising Ian at the final interview? Perhaps they're dating.

Kathy said...

As far as Coby goes, I think he decided that since everyone teased him and no one liked him as a kid, that Tom was too likeable for Coby to vote for. Tom "lied", I suppose, because Coby needed an excuse not to vote for him, even though (and the other six people agreed with this) there was no earthly reason to vote for Katie.

On contestant Jeff, I kept wondering why he never said that the reason he asked to be voted out is that, with a busted ankle, he would have added a liability in challenges to a team that clearly needed no more liabilities. I think he may also have just wanted to go home and not be miserable anymore, but it's not as though he would have been any help.

I think young Ian did a lot of arguing with himself on that buoy. He appears to have quite a conscience on him, and he seems to really be bothered by the notion that he appeared duplicitous. I think the way he sees himself and how other people see him is actually worth more to him than a million dollars.

Tom asked me last night if he was still banned from applying, and I said, Hell, yes, you are. See, I can't imagine deciding that giving up my ability to choose where, with whom, and under what conditions I live is worth a million dollars. It just isn't. This is my autonomy we're talking about. My ability to decide that I don't want to eat a cockroach or sleep on the sand with the rats. A mere chance at a million bucks just isn't worth it.

Tom said...

Er, for what it is worth, I didn't say that I was going to apply you for the show...