Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Canine Ethnic Cleansing

You may have seen this story already thanks to Fark, but since it's going on here in Denver, I felt a need to bring it to everyone's attention. I'm not much of a pet person. I don't own a dog and don't want to. I don't have anything in particular for or against pit bulls. But this seems pretty crazy to me.

Now, I know the grey area here is pretty large. Because I'm suggesting it's lunacy to pass a law that takes everyone's pit bull away, would I therefore argue someone's right to keep a Motaba-infected monkey in their apartment? Where exactly do I draw the line between safe pet and unsafe pet? I honestly don't know.

I just know that ordinarily I find the "I know obscenity when I see it"-type argument to be generally aggravating. And yet... this somehow rubs me the wrong way anyway. I suppose that makes me a bit of a hypocrite.

Great. Now I'm having a crisis of ethics and politics over some stupid dogs I don't even really like.

2 comments:

GiromiDe said...

Perhaps Bravo can follow the genocide as a sequel to "Showdog Moms & Dads".

Kathy said...

I had part of my left leg torn out by a pit bull when I was three. It is my earliest memory.

I still don't think they should kill those dogs. For what it's worth.