Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Beyond Lost

Encouraged (or maybe "egged on" is a better choice of words?) by some of the comments I've seen on my recent "new TV" posts, I've decided to continue reviewing the new shows I've watched. Maybe it'll help you decide what you want to check out. Maybe you want to gossip, or disagree. Take your pick. It's all good. I figure, though, that my reviews would be a lot more helpful if I could somehow post them before the show in question actually airs.

Fortunately, I have a way to do that.

Without going too much into details that may or may not get a friend of mine in trouble (probably not, but can't be too sure), I was able to see a couple of "advance preview DVDs" released by some of the networks. The discs are mainly intended for critics to view the new shows early and write their reviews.

Which is exactly how I'm going to use them.

Tomorrow night on ABC, after the season premiere of Lost, the new show Invasion makes its debut. It's part of the procession of "spooky, vaguely sci-fi shows" that the networks are trodding out this fall, arguably in an attempt to score another "Lost." (For other examples, see Surface [NBC], Supernatural [WB], and Threshold [CBS].)

Well, leave it to the network that found the first Lost to present the most likely, most worthy successor.

The pilot of Invasion is the best of all the new shows I've watched this year. The production quality is the equal of any feature film. In fact, the plot unfolds rather like the first 40 minutes of a feature film, which I guess worries me a little about how they'll keep the show rolling for more than another two episodes. But I'm eager to find out.

The characters are drawn very realistically out of the gate. The acting is solid, even including the kids. The writing is solid, with the exposition handled very deftly. The only obnoxious moment for me was the use of the Hollywood cliche of the "child must find the missing pet in the middle of the horrible disaster." But I can forgive the one misstep.

Since I know most of you are going to be watching Lost anyway, I highly recommend you stay tuned the extra hour and sample Invasion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"preview DVDs"? are you somehow signed up to "playtest" TV? I would think you are qualified for it : )

-the mole

DrHeimlich said...

I think the "theme" the networks are reaching for is a "spooky weirdness" with long-term, ongoing mysteries. All four of the new shows in question are about that.