Monday, September 19, 2005

A Tale of Two Buffy (Alumni)

It's War of the Ex-Buffy Cast Members! The battleground, Monday nights at 8:30 Eastern/7:30 Central.

In the CBS corner, Alyson Hannigan, formerly known as Willow -- but arguably more widely known as "the flute band geek" from the American Pie movies. She's in the cast of "How I Met Your Mother." (Along with Neil Patrick Harris, last seen snorting cocaine off a hooker's ass in Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle. And Jason Segel, from the brilliant-but-canceled Freaks and Geeks.)

In the FOX corner, Nicholas Brendon, formerly known as Xander -- inarguably even less well known from the movie Psycho Beach Party. He's in the cast of "Kitchen Confidential." (Along with Bradley Cooper, who left Alias just before it started to slide slowly downhill. And John Francis Daley, also from the brilliant-but-canceled Freaks and Geeks. Hollywood can be so incestuous sometimes.)

Thanks to the wonder that is dueling TiVos, I was able to view both these competitors in their battle royale. And it's a knockout in the first round, in favor of Alyson Hannigan.

Kitchen Confidential was thoroughly lackluster, made all the more so for appearing after Arrested Development. I didn't get so much as a smile out of the entire 22 minutes.

How I Met Your Mother, despite being an "archaic" multi-camera, filmed-before-a-live-studio-audience sitcom, was far superior. It took about 10 minutes to get rolling, but then the laughs started flowing. I laughed out loud several times, most of them thanks to "Willow" herself. They even had a couple of quality pirate jokes in there! (Not that the creators of the show could ever have known it would debut on Talk Like a Pirate Day.)

Now just to be clear, I'm not pronouncing this "appointment TV." Still, it's not a bad way to kill 22 minutes. And where else would you get to hear Bob Saget's disembodied voice say "Smurf penis?" Okay, so it's not quite as good as his rendition of the Aristocrats joke, but it's definitely good for a laugh.

5 comments:

thisismarcus said...

I *think* I met Alyson's husband on my flight to London but I need to do some photo research before I blog about it!

GiromiDe said...

Dueling TiVos? Don't you have one with two inputs? That's the cat's meow.

Kitchen Confidential looks like a 6- or 13-weeker. I think there's some obscure curse on American television series centered around cooks or restaurant operations regardless of their quality. The same might apply to films, because Spanglish was a horrible waste of time.

I think my wife TiVod or watched How I Met Your Mother, so I'll figure out if I want to give it a watch next week. To be honest, I'm tired of laugh tracks.

Kathy said...

Alyson Hannigan's husband is also Wesley from Buffy/Angel. Is that who you met?

DrHeimlich said...

Not one TiVo with two inputs -- if only they made such a creature. I loved having one so much, and there were enough times in the week where there were two shows I liked on at the same time, that I bought a second one. They discount the monthly fee on the second one, too.

thisismarcus said...

That's who I meant but I'm increasingly doubtful that it really was him. I posted about it today. If anyone knows that he's in theatre in Chicago right now (for example) then that would settle the issue!