Thursday, September 29, 2005

Curses, Foiled Again

There's a chain of "burrito bars" here in Denver called Chipotle. They're moderately nation-wide, I believe, so maybe you have one near you. if not, I'm sure you have a place like it near you -- they wrap you up a fat, honkin' wad of Mexicany stuff, and off you go.

At Chipotle, the burritos come wrapped in foil. And in case this is problematic for people, they've put instructions on how to eat your foil-wrapped burrito on all their napkins:



Alright, cute. But if my years of working on CCGs have taught me anything, it's that people will go to any lengths to misunderstand even the clearest instructions (sometimes because they're stupid, oftentimes because they're willfully causing trouble). Imagine these sorts of people tackling these instructions...

1) It's apparently very important to grasp the burrito with both hands before you open it, and hold it out as if in supplication to something or someone. Who? These horrible instructions don't tell me!

2) Okay, what exactly am I tearing off here? Just the foil? Or am I tearing off a layer or two of tortilla as well? I wish I could be clear on this point, but the illustration isn't in color.

3) Whoa, wait a minute! What the hell happened here? Are we sure we aren't missing steps here? There's a piece missing from my burrito! How did we get from step two to step three? And what's that stuff inside the burrito? It looks a little more to me like an apple turnover from McDonalds or something.

Actually, I'm probably not doing nearly a good enough job imagining ways to misinterpret these directions. That's the second big thing I've learned working on CCGs: no matter how many ways you can think of for someone to misunderstand something, they'll find another.

9 comments:

Major Rakal said...

I don't know whether to be impressed or disturbed by your ability to envision "rules questions" in pictographic burrito-eating instructions. Clearly, you've spent way too many years working on CCGs. :-)

Anonymous said...

I think the difference in the first and second pictures is telling me to "tap" the burrito...

I hope later that I don't get summoning sickness from it ; )

-the mole

Brad said...

krmrzrb
I'm still confused on how I get from step one to step two.
If it was important to hold it with two hands, why can I now hold it with one?
AND these instructions are clearly biased toward right-handed people.
Clearly there is room for erratta or a clarification on this napkin and I think it would be best for those who want to eat correctly that we at least get a ruling on the transitions between steps.
Also, are these napkins only for instructional purposes?
Because I dont' see anything telling me how to use them ... maybe it is on the side of the drink straw wrapper ...

Major Rakal said...

Another one who has spent too many years working on CCGs...


svsypub

GiromiDe said...

Miles Stunt Double must be tons o' fun at his local Chipotle.

Oh, and we have many of them here in Chicago. Some of my Texas friends called it "Chipolte," because all Texans possess Spanish Dyslexia.

TheGirard said...

XLIST THE WRAPPER!!!!

clearly it's overpowered.

BubbaJoe said...

I bet that the Pulsforts could turn that wrapper into a Negative Playing Experince. Damn those Germans for been too good of card players... =)

We can only hope there is no Chipotle in Germany... =)

Jason said...

Did you ever see this?

http://www.mistupid.com/stuff/ready.htm

DrHeimlich said...

Those are pretty funny, Jason. :-)