Tuesday, September 27, 2005

How Sweet the Sound...

The Amazing Race is back, and I thought it just as entertaining in its "family of four" incarnation. A few miscellaneous thoughts about the first episode:

I really wish the "hot dog cart guys" could be on a team. They were more entertaining to me than a lot of the teams actually racing.

That shot of the gas station sign selling Regular for $2.19... in New York City, no less! Boy, that takes me back...

I was totally fooled by the "Build It" vs. "Buggy It" detour. Ordinarily, the physical option is way easier than anything that involves "finding something" or "following specific instructions." But ohdearGod was that not the case here.

Speaking of God, I was really annoyed by the way the Weaver family constantly invoked His help throughout the episode. Apparently He wasn't a fan either, since He's trying to kill off the family one by one via vehicular homicide.

And if that comment didn't earn me my special place in Hell, then let me try this instead: how unfortunately named was the Black family? The one black family in the game, and every ten minutes or so we get to see them identified as such through the on-screen text. The awful joke seemed to descend to a whole new level when we were shown them rallying together with their cheer: "Black family!" They actually seemed like a nice family that got along well together, and there are certainly other teams I'm hating already and would rather have seen eliminated. Still, I'm not sure how many more weeks I could have taken of simultaneously laughing and hating myself every time I hear/see their name.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

The "hot dog guys" were Kevin and Drew from season 1. I don't know why they didn't make a bigger deal of this. They were our favorites in that season and I believe they came in fourth.

You should see if you can catch a couple of first season episodes when they come on the game show network if you can. Gosh, Kevin and Drew were funny.

DrHeimlich said...

Hmm... so apparently I can watch those two as a team. May have to Netflix the first season -- it did just come out on DVD.

Kathy said...

Ah, and I just realized I spoiled the outcome of the first season just a tiny bit. Mea culpa. It was at 2:15 a.m. when I couldn't sleep, in my own defense.

My main point with that was that you could catch any random episode and Kevin and Drew would still be in it.

If you Netflix it, get used to hearing the word "Knucklehead".

Tom said...

Kevin and Drew aren't our favorites from season 1...they are our overwhelming favorites for the whole show, and the main reason I still turn it on once in a while. Phil is pretty good too.

But when I saw them standing by the cart I knew it was them. It took Kathy seeing them again to be sure.

GiromiDe said...

By this logic, Geena Davis should be playing "President Vagina" on her new show.