Wednesday, September 28, 2005

CSI's New "Competition"

Well, my long stretch of blogging about nothing but TV will be tapering off here soon, I think, as tonight I bring you the last of my (p)reviews of new TV shows.

I've seen the first two episodes of the new Night Stalker, which debuts tomorrow. Don't get your hopes up on this one, for two reasons:

1) It's been exiled to a Time Slot of Certain Death -- it airs opposite CSI. I do watch CSI, but I don't think it's the greatest thing in the world. I could give it up for something good. But Night Stalker isn't really it. Anyway, the tens of millions of people who make CSI the #1 rated show on television certainly aren't going to give it up.

2) Night Stalker comes across as a poor knockoff of The X-Files.

Yes, I realize the quasi-idiocy of that second statement. The X-Files itself was inspired very much by the original Night Stalker series. But it definitely took the material that inspired it and transcended it, bringing something new to the table. By contrast, the new Night Stalker is pretty standard "monster of the week" fare. Other shows have done it (and are doing it) better. Hell, Smallville did a decent job of "monster of the week" in the early days, and I gave up that show about 5 episodes in for exactly that reason -- after nine years of The X-Files (not all of them good), I need something a little more than "MotW."

In short, you can safely avoid this one. It's not likely to come stalking after you.

1 comment:

GiromiDe said...

To ABC's credit, they aren't trying to cram this waste of time down our throats as they are with Commander In Chief, which is the most important show ever made because the president has an innie instead of an outie, and Invasion, which is the most important example of how in spite in hundreds of channels and DVRs, many viewers won't change the channel after a show they really wanted to watch ends.