Friday, September 02, 2005

Charmed by Wiki

As someone who Googles for information on a regular basis (and does it furiously one weekend every year for KVSC trivia), I can't help but notice the recent rise of Wikipedia.

I mean, just seven months ago during trivia weekend, I don't remember getting a single Wikipedia entry once in the entire 50-hour contest. But nowadays, it seems you can't search for anything on the internet without getting a Wikipedia entry among your first page of hits.

Now maybe this has more to do with the obscure things we have to Google for trivia weekend as compared to the things I search for on a more day-to-day basis. But I somehow don't think it's that. Has anyone else noticed and/or agree that 2005 is the "Year of Wikipedia?"

As fun little addendum on this post, I invite you to peruse Wikipedia's entry on itself.

2 comments:

Kathy said...

The mister and I were talking via Yahoo Messenger last night and both of us used Wikipedia at some point for one reason or another.

I think I wikied "godparent" and I can't remember what he did.

Also, if you use Trillian as your messaging application, it picks out words and links them to their wikipedia entries, which is simulaneously interesting, useful, and annoying.

thisismarcus said...

I like their frank self-evaluation on that page!