Sunday, September 25, 2005

In-Flight Movie

I caught Jodie Foster's new movie Flightplan yesterday. Pretty mundane stuff. Actually, quite similar to Panic Room, but set on an airplane, and without the cool direction and cinematography brought by David Fincher.

There were some interesting action beats, and good acting from Jodie Foster (as you would expect), but nothing that ever really raised the material beyond any other mindless action film. There were a couple of plot holes in it big enough that you could fly the giant plane itself through.

Overall, I give it a C-.

The trailers that ran before the film were rather bizarre. They were the sort of trailers one would attach to a "Jodie Foster movie." We're talking a movie like Nell or something. Lots of chick flicks... tales of people arranging matches... Who exactly did they think was going to come see Flightplan?

Anyway, I wish I'd caught Corpse Bride instead. I'll probably try to make up for that later this week.

3 comments:

DavĂ­d said...

The only thing I'm selling is Corpse Bride. Charming and well done with a great art style. Not top 100 material, but well worth seeing.

One of the worst parts was the previews - all for kids movies. While Harry Potter movies may be some peoples' things (I felt only the third one was anything more than a special effect showcase), the only preview that I found interesting was for the Wallace and Gromit movie. I am *so* looking forward to that.

GiromiDe said...

Don't you just want to punch the Disney trailer guy in the mouth? He's next in line after both NBC voices.

Trundling Grunt said...

Saw March of the Penguins - excellent movie. I'm looking out for Corpse Bride, Harry Potter, and the Wallace & Grommitt. Not so wild about the new Ice Age.

As for any move containing Jodie Foster - she's usually a class act.